Saturday, February 28, 2015

Store Project: Soft Spring Ombre Cowl


Some people are skinny yarn knitters and some are not. I don't know about you, but I am not - working with gossamer yarns hurts my arms. It also takes a long time to knit, and I'm not a particularly speedy knitter. Enter my friend who has a big, beautiful stash of yarn (seriously, I spend every day surrounded by yarn and I find her collection moving).  I've been thinking a lot about how she can put some of her gorgeous but neglected fine filaments to use. 

My solution is plies. Lace weight yarns, like Malabrigo Silkpaca Lace, knit extremely well with two or 3 strands held together. It also offers an opportunity to play around with colour without requiring and any technical skill - Yay! 


FREE Pattern via Ravelry
3 skeins Malabrigo Silkpaca Lace (1 in each of 3 colours, we used: 27 bobby blue, 98 tuareg, 150 azul profundo)
3.5mm/US4-16" circular needles 


Our Silkaca Ombre Cowl turned out FABULOUS! It's soft, light, and just warm enough for spring. There was also lots of yarn left over, enough to make your cowl larger, a second cowl (in a different colour order), or a matching hat (you can see the yardage amounts in our Ravelry Notes).

The yarn is super-duper lovely (70% baby alpaca, 30% silk). It has all the softness of baby alpaca and a little bit of sheen from the silk content. 


Colour Combination Suggestions
Below are some ideas for colour combinations. Because Malabrigo's dye lots tend to vary all of our suggestions are based on the actual yarn in the store (yup, I spent an afternoon playing Malabrigo mix-n'match. 






No comments:

Blog Archive